Main Page
  Special Features
  The Palestra


  Players: A-L
  Players: M-P
  Players: Q-Z
  Player Quotes 


  Lobby Photos
  Blue Line Photos
  Main Floor Photos
  Game Pictures
  Balcony Photos
  Red Line Photos
  Scoreboard Photos
  Third-Fair Photos
  Melvin's Photos
Buck Night Photos


  Origins of The Club
  Journal Articles
  Mirror Articles
  Team Photos 


  Fan Memories  
  Message Forum  


  Heads Up!

The Mining Journal. Marquette, Michigan. Monday, February 11, 1974.

Rangers Win Last (?) Game in Palestra
By James E. Thethewey of the Journal Staff

A bruising, bloody battle-which may have been the last senior league hockey game to be played in the rickety old Palestra-was won by Marquette's Iron Rangers, 6-4, over the Chicago Warriors Sunday night.

The Triumph, coupled with a break-even two-game road trip to Sioux City, Iowa and Milwaukee the previous two nights, helped the Iron Rangers tighten their hold on second place and move closer to a division berth in the United States Hockey League playoffs. 

Coach Oakie Brumm's crew was shellacked 11-1 in Sioux City Friday night, but Rebounded for a well-earned 4-2 victory over the Admirals in Milwaukee Saturday.

There is still some doubt whether the next home contest, against Calumet Saturday, can be played in the new Marquette Lakeside arena. Work in preparation of the Russel rink is being rushed, but if it can't be readied in time another game will have to be staged in the icy confines of the Palestra.

Steve Carlson got the loan goal against Sioux City, while Mike L'Huillier, Ron Johnson, Jack Carlson and Brian McKenzie pushed the puck passed Admiral goalie Jack Anderson in Milwaukee.

Sunday nights counters were driven home by Mike Powers in the first period, Jack Carlson and Ozzie O'Neill in the second and L'Huillier, Floyd Sommers and Jeff Carlson in the third.

Just 45 seconds after referee Bob Delsito dropped the puck at center ice, Powers took a pass from Jack and Steve Carlson and fired a line drive from the west side boards which Chicago goalie Woolnough never saw. That was all the scoring in the opening session, but it wasn't all the action as players from both sides seemed more intent on maiming each other than in getting the puck into the net. Before the period was over, Delsito had handed out 34 minutes in penalties-seven violations for Marquette and five for Chicago.

Jack Carlson, who spent a total of 13 minutes in the sin bin, and Warrior defenseman Andy Janicek sat out five minutes each for engaging in a brawl early in the period and later Jeff Carlson and Randy Ciotti retired from the fray for seven minutes apiece (fighting plus minor infractions) Several of the players were bleeding during their sojourns in the penalty box.

Delsito handed out no other majors during the rest of the game, although there were a number of melees, confrontations, and entaglements which could have been assessed more severely. Linesmen Bucky O'Neill and Doug Paul were kept busy separating would-be combatants.

Back to the scoring, the Rangers made it 3-0 before the Warriors could break the ice.  Jack Carlson tipped one in past Woodnough at 2:17, with Powers and Jeff Carlson getting assists, and O'Neill stole the puck in the Chicago zone-while Marquette was a man short-and skated in to fire a perfect strike over the goalie's shoulder.

Al Pyette removed any thoughts of a shutout for Brian Lunney with a sizzler from just inside the blue line at 7:17 of the second period. Most of the scoring was packed into the third period.

Chicago made it 3-2 when Ciotto netted a rebound shot and Ron Guzzo knotted the count at 3-all on a power play goal. A brief flurry of flying fists followed that score.

Penalties came thick and fast the rest of the way, the Rangers finally cashing in on a power play opportunity when L'Huillier took a "picture play" pass from MacKenzie to send Marquette in front to stay 4-3.

Just 17 seconds later, L'Huillier and MacKenzie assisted on a goal by Sommers, fired from just inside the blue line. Rick Spooner cut the margin to one in the final half minute, but six seconds later Jeff Carlson fired into an open net for the final margin. Chicago protested the final score, claiming icing should have been called, but to no avail. 

Because of the hard-checking play-actually it was rather vicious at times-several players were hurt. Additionally, two front-row spectators were struck by flying object, with one of them being sent to a hospital emergency room for treatment.

One of the smallest crowds to ever attend any game ever covered by this writer-who incidentally was witnessing his first contest in the Palestra in 19 years-was on hand for the Rangers' second victory in as many nights. But all present obviously enjoyed what they saw.